This Month's Featured Recipe:
Zuppa di Asparagi con Crostini e Speck
• 1 - 4oz Package Citterio Speck Cubetti
• 3 bunches Asparagus stalks (cleaned and trimmed)
• 4 slices of a good quality German Style Rye Bread
• 3 Tbsp. Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 3 Tbsp. high quality unsalted Butter or Vegetable Oil
• 4 shallots
• 2 1/2 c. heavy cream
• 1 c. low sodium Chicken Broth
• 1/2 tsp. fresh lemon zest
• Sea Salt & Pepper
- Coarsely slice 2 shallots. Place Asparagus on sheet tray and place shallots on top. Dress with extra virgin olive oil and Salt & Pepper to taste. Bake at 350 F until asparagus is not too al dente (about 15 - 20 minutes). You want the asparagus to have some substance.
- Pour heavy cream, chicken broth, lemon zest, and baked asparagus in a blender. Blend until Asparagus is incorporated into the soup.
- Cube slices of Rye bread. Place on sheet tray and sprinkle with package of Cubetti Speck. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Broil on low until bread is crisp (approx. 8-10 minutes). Place in bowl to garnish soup.
- Thinly slice the remaining 2 shallots. Crisp in a pan with butter or vegetable oil. Cook until crisp - do not burn. Place in bowl to garnish soup.
- Soup can be served warm or cold. Place in bowls and garnish with rye bread crumbs, speck cubes and shallots.