This Month's Featured Recipe:
Mortadella & Asparagus Crespelle with Bechamel Sauce
• 72 Asparagus stalks
• 1 Clove Garlic
• 2 Roasted Red Peppers
• 2-3 packages Citterio Fresco Mortadella
• 1 1/2c. Flour
• 4 Eggs
• 2c. Shredded Mozzarella cheese
• Salt & Pepper
• Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Make Bechamel Sauce ahead of time (see Bechamel sauce recipe below).
- Roast peppers at 325° until slightly charred. Let cool in a paper bag if available. Peel and clean. Slice into strips. Salt & pepper to taste. Finely chop 1 clove garlic, dress with olive oil and toss pepper strips.
- Clean and prepare asparagus (breaking off ends). Lightly dress with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until al dente. Remove and cool.
- Crepes mixture: In large bowl combine flour, eggs, 1/2 tsp. salt and whisk together. Add milk slowly while whisking. Once combined, whisk until smooth. Let sit for 20 minutes.
- In a crepe maker or non-stick pan, smooth a light coating of crepe mixture in pan. Let cook until firm, flip over, remove from pan and let cool. Continue this process to make approx. 18 crepes.
- Take 1 crepe and layer 2-3 slices of Mortadella to cover the entire size of the crepe. Place 4 asparagus stocks on top of the Mortadella (letting tips outside about 3/4"). Then sprinkle a thin layer of shredded Mozzarella cheese on top. Then add 3 strips of roasted red peppers. Roll crepe as tightly as possible. Place in non-stick baking pan. Repeat for all crepes.
- Once all finished crepes are rolled and in pan, pour Bechamel sauce on top and bake at 325° for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.
Bechamel Sauce Recipe
• 5 tbsp. Butter
• 4 tbsp. Flour
• 4 c. Milk
• 2 tsp. Salt
• 1/2 tsp. fresh grated Nutmeg
• 1 clove chopped Garlic
In a saucepan, melt butter over medium to low heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Continue to cook over medium heat until mixture turns a light, golden color (about 7 minutes).
In another saucepan, heat milk until almost boiling. Slowly whisk milk into the butter/flour mixture. Continue to whisk until smooth and boiling. Boil for 10 minutes and continue to whisk. Remove from heat.
Add salt, nutmeg and garlic to taste. Set aside until ready to pour over crepes.